HLC Establishes Driving School
HLC is a community owned Charitable Trust providing education and employment opportunities to people in Horowhenua and other areas of the lower North Island.
Our mission is “Education to Employment”
Employer Engagement and Feedback
In August of 2017 HLC along with the Horowhenua Economic Development Board held a strategic planning meeting with over 20 regional employers to discuss workforce needs and development in the Horowhenua for the next 10 to 20 years. One of the key messages from employers to educators was that students leaving school needed to have a minimum of a Restricted Drivers Licence.
College Driver Education Programme
After the above meeting with employers, HLC met with the Principals from Waiopehu, Horowhenua and Manawatu Colleges to discuss how students could achieve a minimum of a Restricted Drivers Licence while at school, prior to the transition from education to employment. All Principals agreed to integrate Driver Education into their college curriculums.
HLC Driving School
As a result, HLC has employed a driving instructor, purchased a vehicle and set up a Driving School to provide driving lessons for College students, HLC students and HLC employment clients.
It is important to note that the programme is not open to the public.
Those who may be eligible to join the Driving School are:
- College students from Horowhenua, Waiopehu and Manawatu Colleges.
- HLC MSD clients who are registered with our employment programmes.
- HLC Students currently enrolled onto one or more of our courses.
How to access Driving Lessons:
- College Students must contact the Driving Lessons Coordinator at their college. They will advise you if you are eligible.
- HLC MSD Clients, discuss this with your consultant, they will then seek approval from MSD through the HLC Employment Programmes Manager.
- HLC Students, discuss this with your Tutor who will seek approval their HLC Programme Manager.